Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Twin Falls Idaho 2





Hey Everyone,
So I did a lot of detail and foundation work in the town for Twin Falls. I was in charge of shoring up the streets and foundations and giving the sidewalks a makeover. Every power line, pole, stop sign, streetlight, fire hydrant, man hole, street lines; you name it I placed it and most of it I built and textured. I found myself really telling a story with the town of Twin Falls. We really wanted it to feel like a 1950s zombie flick with monsters! We got all the zombies we could ask for but we really tried to play up the existence of the Mother Spinner without giving her totally away. As I said earlier I made a brand new library of blood decals that were used to tell stories in small chunks through out the game play (Zombie bride murder suicide? Used Car salesman anybody?). It was a great way to stay motivated through, what can be, a tedious process of set dressing. If you look at the ground which we found people often do you'll see large cracks in the sidewalk and streets hinting at the presence of something big!!! It was a real opportunity for our team who were very passionate about getting the environment to feel era appropriate! I did a building or two but specialized mainly in signage as you can see above.
The first building you encounter is a Chinese restaurant and the flickering Chop Suey sign was inspired by my buddy Steve. Who quickly did an awesome crayon drawing for me on a piece of scratch paper which I had him sign and it remains posted behind my desk to this day! We tried to come up with a campy result with several of our signs and "CHOP SUEY" flickers to be "CHOP U";). Cheese!!! Along those same lines if you're playing through the town I also did custom lettering for the Diner which flickers to "DI*E*":).
The second image illustrates the first major retail building I did called "Oglesby's." It was designed to be a dimestore but the gameplay called for a larger building and we turned it into a Dillons or a Ralphs of today. The custom 3d sign was a nice challenge! I hadn't done a lot of signage like this before R2 so it was a great experience!
The last picture shows the gas station. We all loved the gas station because more than any other building we felt it captured the period for our environment. I wasn't responsible for texturing but I built it from scratch and it was a real good time because we knew once we got that piece in there it would totally help set the mood. I built the large sign "Gooch's Gas" for the gas station and again that required some custom lettering.
Thanks for reading!
Yance

2 comments:

Dave McNeal said...

wicked environments dood!

Brian Yam said...

your the best Yance!