Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sargasso

Hey guys,
So here is a collection of screens for Sargasso which was one of the levels featured in Ratchet and Clank Future. It's basically a dinosaur world, so we had a really good time thinking about how it should look given the life that would be inhabiting it:). Sargasso was my first venture into the world of Ratchet and it was then, and still remains a challenge to get the right mix of cartoon and stylized construction with regard to the real world. Everything in Ratchet is a little over the top and a little skewed to some extent, and it's always fun trying to find the right balance so we maintain a fun and colorful world without pushing it past the point of believability and functionality. At least that's my take. As I said it was a challenge (albeit fun) but I was hired primarily for Resistance due to my hyper realistic modeling and textures. I'm a perfectionist and I always try to be very methodical when creating real world objects and environments. As I always say, "Our environments should be invisible because if they're distracting our audience in some unintended nature something is wrong."
With Ratchet we can be a little more free when it comes to construction and suspension of disbelief. For me this has been a pretty big hurdle to overcome, however I think I've succeeded in multiple ways. The screenshots below aren't new, but they might be new someone who has not played Ratchet. If you haven't then you really are missing out on a lot of fun. You could see this as a shameful plug (take it as you wish). I truly believe at Insomniac we work really hard for that extra aesthetic umpf! and with Ratchet we made a leap in tech and aesthetic construction. We "NextGen'd" Ratchet if you will. Anyway, lets get to the screenshots. I present to you Sargasso:

No comments: