Monday, February 16, 2009

Twin Falls Idaho 1





Above are three screenshots from the Suburb portion of Twin Falls. I was in charge of the game play houses which were the only houses you actually entered. I built all the game play houses and textured them. I left college not having pursued any type of architecture degree because I HATE MATH. But I've quickly found that as an environment artist I have to be pretty well rounded in a variety of disciplines including architecture, landscaping, lighting, and plumbing (shout out to Grandpa!). The houses were a unique challenge because in a virtual world we work with different rules . . . some of those rules can be bent; others broken . . . but not here. Nope houses are houses and these had to be structurally fit and also satisfy game play requirements.
You'll notice the top picture is an unfinished basement. I purposely made it that way because I liked the feeling of it. With the spinner webbing it was creepy and spooky especially when it was filled with waist high water. Unfortunately what I didn't take into consideration was the fact that we have no sheet rock and if you have no sheet rock the fundamental structure of the basement has to make sense or the house doesn't hold up. I was complimented many times on both the insanity and dedication it takes to make basements in a virtual world up to code. Big thanks to Marcus S. for the encouragement!!! Love ya' man!
The next image shows a kitchen I worked on. This was a special place where Mommy, Daddy, little Ricky and Susan got ambushed by a couple of grim zombies!!! It was also the set of a cut scene and I payed extra special attention to the story in this area. I developed a brand new set of blood decals for Resistance 2 which were used extensively in Twin Falls as well as other areas of the game. I'm not going to lie to you blood spatter is an art. People build careers on studying them. You can literally discover a story with just how the blood sprays. In any case if you're in this kitchen look for the story because I took extra care with this family.;)
The third and final picture shows a family room. I built an awesome TV for these rooms along with fans and other props. It was a real treat dressing these houses because not one of them is the same and each one tells some kind of horrific story that these people went through. We had several limitations on these but I managed to make them very detailed and feel "lived in." These were a lot of fun to detail. I love set dressing and this was the ultimate because I had four giant houses to detail!
To see a detailed run through check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TfpnJ2Vx0c by overlord73.
Yance



No comments: